Club Spotlight: Habitat for Humanity Club

Claire Kodama, Staff Writer

The Habitat for Humanity club was formed just earlier this year but has already made an impact on Minnesota communities. The club, led by sophomores Ava Raiter, Lily Callanan, and Ginny Kraus alongside faculty leader Mr. Dornbach, has a mission that is very pertinent to modern societal issues; to help people find and afford a home. In her own words, club leader Ava Raiter believes that the club’s mission is, “to volunteer within the community while learning about and advocating for affordable housing.” 

Along with having several meetings during second flexes, the club has had two different builds. A build is a seven-hour work period during which volunteers help to build houses which can be any phase of building from laying the foundation to helping with the finishing touches. One participant who volunteered at both builds, Catherine Wollan, said that the build was, “extremely organized and informative,” and that volunteers were able to, “connect with each other while volunteering.” She said that she didn’t have a lot of experience working on a house but they were taught how to do everything. Catherine said that they, “ripped up carpet, boards, and tack strips, etc. in the first build and painted doors in the second.”

While the builds of 2021 have passed, one of the club’s leaders Lily Callanan said that in the spring they are, “planning on creating volunteer opportunities that people of all ages can participate in such as fundraising events.” These fundraising events will go towards funding a donation to the organization. Ideas are still being developed as to what these fundraising events will be, so look forward to upcoming Habitat for Humanity events!

These builds, along with being an opportunity for connecting within the Vis community, also make, “a huge impact on every individual that we help,” according to Lily. They do this by helping to build houses for people who are otherwise unable to live in decent and affordable housing. The impacts of Habitat for Humanity homeownership not only help people find a good place to live but also improve the quality of life for owners. According to one study released by Habitat for Humanity of Minnesota | Wilder Foundation in 2015, of homeowners who had respiratory illnesses, 74% of short-term homeowners, and 47% of long-term homeowners noted improvements. Along with that, nearly 90% of tenants feel at least “somewhat better,” about themselves compared to before becoming Habitat homeowners. 

The Habitat for Humanity club has already made a difference in the community, both within the Vis community and out. Look out for new builds and fundraising opportunities coming soon in the spring semester. 

Special thanks to Ava Raiter, Lily Callanan, and Catherine Wollan!

Sources:

https://www.wilder.org/sites/default/files/imports/HFHMN_HomeownerImpactStudy_2-15.pdf 

https://www.twincities.com/2021/03/10/after-year-of-pandemic-homelessness-takes-on-new-urgency-at-minnesota-capitol/