Mary Brabeck ’63
- What are you doing currently?
- I graduated from Vis in 1963. Currently, I am retired from work as a psychology professor and dean. I was at Boston College for 23 years (1980-2003). I was the Dean of the Lynch School for the last nine years of my time there. I was Dean of New York University’s Steinhardt School from 2003 to 2014. I ended my teaching and research career in 2019 and retired as Dean Emerita and Professor Emerita. In retirement, I continue to work on projects I care about and am Vice-Chair and Chair-Elect of the American Psychological Association Ethics Committee. I have five grandchildren and am happy to spend time with them.
- How has your experience at Visitation shaped your life?
- I try to live my life by asking, “Does it help?” I believe that my education at Vis helped me learn to love learning and to be responsible to my community and our global society.
- What would your advice be to current students at Vis?
- Learn to love learning and be as curious as you can about people and the world around you. Remember to laugh a lot.