Local Music Spotlight: Gully Boys

Image Courtesy of City Pages

Isabel Brandt, News Editor

Gully Boys is a Minneapolis-based rock band made up of guitarist Kaytee Callahan, drummer Nadirah McGill, and bassist Natalie Klemond. The trio first released a self-titled EP via Bandcamp in 2017, followed up in 2018 by their breakout album, Not So Brave. However, the roots of Gully Boys don’t follow a typical band origin story: none of the members knew how to play their instruments before the band’s formation. In fact, the members have roots in classical vocals and piano, a background that lends itself to the melodic balance that the group’s punk songs are able to achieve. 

Since then, City Pages named them the best new band of 2018 after the band won the magazine’s Picked to Click reader poll. Gully Boys has enjoyed airtime on The Current and shoutouts from alums of the Minnesota music scene Hippo Campus and Har Mar Superstar. Currently, Gully Boys is in the middle of a winter residency at First Avenue’s 7th Street Entry. 

Image Courtesy of The Current

Gully Boys is a band that doesn’t fit into just one genre, as their influences extend beyond one single source. The trio’s music has a grunge feel that borrows aspects from midwest emo and punk. If you’re interested in giving them a listen, you can find the majority of their music on Spotify, including their most recent EP from 2019 called Phony.