The Visitation Voice

The Hate U Give Book Review

Photo courtesy of Google images.

Photo courtesy of Google images.

Sadie Richardson, Executive Editor

In America, race is an endlessly controversial subject, but literature is able to offer another perspective besides our own. One such novel, Angie Thomas’ The Hate U Give, became a major motion picture this fall and is a powerful commentary on modern racism. The protagonist, Starr Carter, lives a dual life between her inner-city neighborhood and the wealthy private suburban school she attends. When a white police officer murders her unarmed friend and first love, Khalil, at a traffic stop while she is in the passenger seat of his car, she is forced to confront the ongoing struggle with race in America, most especially the violence that exists between the African American community and the police. Khalil’s death fractures her further into two entirely different individuals, and she is challenged to stand against the systemic violence against black people.

This novel is a poignant reminder of the work we still have to do as a society to end the institutionalized violence that plagues minority communities. Thomas’ work beautifully contrasts the love of family and friends with the tragedy of racism and discrimination and highlights the differences in Starr’s two worlds, even in the manner in which she speaks. Thomas’ writing is an insightful commentary on black identity, especially in relation to the police and the media; Khalil is often mischaracterized, criminalized, and dehumanized, even by those Starr considers friends.

This novel is incredibly difficult to read at times – not in syntax, but in subject – but it is one of the most important novels of the past few years, especially in our modern culture.”

— Sadie Richardson

About the Writer
Sadie Richardson, Executive Editor

Sadie is a senior at Vis and the executive editor of The Visitation Voice. She loves to write – especially opinion – and enjoys learning more about others’ viewpoints and perspectives through their writing. At Vis, she can be found running between golf, Mock Trial, Peer Mentors, BloodMobile, student council, and Women ActiVISts. Outside of school, Sadie is often riding horses, participating in youth ministry, and watching movies. She loves to spend time with her family and friends and explore new places to eat and shop around Minneapolis. She is passionate about politics and hopes to one day practice law.

• The Hate U Give Book Review

ARTS, CULTURE, & STYLE

Strong Women of Faith in the Visitation Community

• The Hate U Give Book Review

ARTS, CULTURE, & STYLE

Welcoming the New Autumn with Fashion

• The Hate U Give Book Review

ARTS, CULTURE, & STYLE

• OPINION

Speeding is a Privilege

• The Hate U Give Book Review

PHOTOS

Sophomores Set Sights on New Year

• The Hate U Give Book Review

PHOTOS

Social Justice Day Photos

• The Hate U Give Book Review

NEWS

Remembering Senator John McCain

• The Hate U Give Book Review

PHOTOS

Vis Values: Exploring and Experimenting in Costa Rica

• The Hate U Give Book Review

VIS LIFE

A Bingeworthy Recap of Visflix 2018

• The Hate U Give Book Review

ARTS, CULTURE, & STYLE

Welcoming the New Autumn with Fashion

The Student News Site of Visitation School
The Hate U Give Book Review