Making VIS History: Visitation Tennis Team Secures First State Appearance

Grace Keeley, Co-Executive Editor

On Tuesday October 11, 2022 the Visitation Varsity Tennis team made Visitation history. The Blazers defeated the first seed, South Saint Paul, tennis team resulting in Visitation securing their first ever Minnesota AA Team State Tennis appearance. 

Visitation was seeded third this season going into sections. At the Section 3AA tournament the Blazers defeated Woodbury High School in the Quarterfinals and move on to defeat East Ridge Highschool, 4-3, in the Semifinals. Earlier in the regular season the Blazers had a loss against East Ridge, adding to the momentum of the Blazers section win.  Arriving at the 3AA Section Finals, held at Baseline tennis center at the University of Minnesota, was in and of itself a historic event for the Blazers.  Going into the Section Finals match the Blazers were the underdogs but they never let this stop them from bringing their best game to the court. 

In the 150th year of Visitation in Minnesota we have chosen the tag-line “Legacy Leads the Way” and the Varsity tennis team is coached by Alumna Nicol Larson Krumpholz ‘87 along with Assistant Coach Molly Hynes. The varsity tennis team has a roster of 14 players, ranging from grades 8 to 12: Reese Foley (8), Jordyn Jarpe (8), Kiersti Jeiger (9), Nora Commers (9), Elizabeth Wanger (10), Meryl Rosenberger (10), Sarah Kodama (11), Claire Kodama (11), Kenley Barberot (11), Lily Callanan (11), Grace Keeley (11) and Captains: Cece Marvin (12), Mary Kate Commers (12) and Julia Harms (12). 

The Blazers beat South Saint Paul 5-2, receiving match victories from singles players: Reese Foley, Meryl Rosenbeger, and Kiersti Joerger; the doubles match victories came from Grace Keeley and Nora Commers, and Jordyn Jarpe and Sarah Kodama. 

It goes without saying that the tennis team is ecstatic! After hard work, mental toughness, many grueling matches, and a lot of fun along the way,  the Visitation Tennis team had made their mark. 

After their historic victory the athletes, with Section Champion medals around their necks, rode the bus back to school while blasting their favorite hype song, “Win” by Jay Rock. Back on home turf, the Lady Blazers paraded their 3AA Sections Champion plaque through the halls of the school and then enjoyed an impromptu and celebratory team dinner at Raising Canes.

The Team State Tournament will be held at Baseline Tennis Center at the University of Minnesota on October 25th and 26th. If you can, come out and support your Lady Blazers as they “rock with the red and roll with the white” on the State courts for the first time in Visitation history. We would ‘love’ to see you all there! 

And no matter what, do not forget to follow @vis_tennis on instagram.